Tuesday, September 14, 2010

SAND SCULPTURE EXPOSITION - Blankenberge

more participants here

End August I went to the Sand sculpture exposition in Blankenberge at the Belgian coast. In two hours I visited 40 countries on six continents ! Africa, Brazil, China, Egypt, France, Greece, Holland, India, Japan, Morocco, Norway, Peru, Russia, Spain, Turkey, the Far East, and the United States

An international team of artists from the United States, Russia, China, Great Britain, France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium had realized these amazing sculptures

In total 100, man-made, wonders of the world were sculpted of which 18 North American, 45 European, 20 Asian, 9 Australian and 8 African. The order of these wonders is random: from architectural to historical, from old to contemporary.

You can read more about the exposition here

As you do in Blogworld when you visit your Blogfriends, you jump from one continent to the other, from one country to the other and from one city to the other in the whole world. That's what I did here in no particular order.

The first part was outside Europe

The entrance. As it was 3 days before the end of the exposition it was very crowed for a wednesday !

The plan with the different continents to see

The entrance

I found myself in Australia

and then in the USA

I admired the details of the Cowboy's gun and saddle

In Cuba I saw how cigars are rolled

and in Argentina the famous tango

the "skinny" Sumos fought in Japan

and the Indian gods were just amazing ! What an artwork

The sculpture with impressed me the most was the one representing Israel and Palestine in one sculpture. It was the Wailing Wall with on one side the Jews and on the other side the Palestinians. The expression of the faces were so real !

I was a little disappointed about Petra in Jordan, because I had been there as you can see here

Aborigens

I met a canadian policeman (?)

and came out of the huge tent to find myself in Egypt

The Taj Mahal

The Chrysler Building

The cathedral St. Basil in Moscow

Chichen Itza, the old Mja town

The Great Wall of China

besides the Opera in Sidney

Acropolis in Athen

Then I entered the tent which contained the European countries and cities

Here is Holland with Amsterdam and its canals

Germany, with the Dom of Cologne and the Brandenburger Tor in Berlin. I have to protest about the German couple, that's not German that's Bavarian, I have never seen my father in a short leather trouser and my mother in a Dirndl ! I don't know who invented such a costum to represent Germans.

Italy represented by the Romans and the pope (what a nice mixture)

The Big Ben was also there

and the Russian dolls (Matriochkas)

Moscow

A dancing Kosak

A belly dancer

Crocodiles, how could the artist do that with sand ?

and then was the End of this very interesting Exposition

Outside was a café where we fell on the chairs and had a coffe and a hot Brussels wafel !

17 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What incredible photos, Gattina! And a marvelous look at such an interesting part of your world! You are so good at capturing the fun and interesting things! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Wow - each sand sculpture is a real work of art! Amazing.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My Word Tuesday post

Seen on My World Tuesday

Anonymous said...

OMG I so want to see that. How beautiful. Each and everyone of them. These are stunning. Another place I want to see because of you is Morocco. Geeze...when are you sending my plane ticket ROFLMAO!!!!

Gwendolyn L said...

What an incredible post. I loved looking at each of the pictures. What a fun event. So many subjects, it's a wonder you didn't run out of memory on your camera. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gracie said...

Is this place at the border between Belgium and France? Because in 2001 I was there and I saw many of these sculptures on the beach....they are absolutely amazing!

diane b said...

Wow what a fabulous exposition. it must have been fascinating to be there. Great shots too. That looks like a Speigel tent at the end of your post.

Kay L. Davies said...

Such an amazing series of photos. Certainly one of the most impressive My World posts I've seen, although I've not been at it very long.
Just wonderful, Gattina, thank you so much.

Kay
Alberta, Canada

Unknown said...

wow! these are jaw-dropping works of art. it's a real treat to see each photo you shared. terrific post!

Maribeth said...

Oh how I wish I could have gone with you! What a wonderful show!

Reader Wil said...

Oh Gattina, thank you for sharing this with us. It is so beautiful and the sculptors are very creative. It's a pity that these sculptures disappear after a short time. It's good that you took many photos.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

My heart aches when the sand castles have to come down. You captured them nicely.

When my FIL died, they built a huge sand dragon, only to be trampled and dug up for coins buried inside. I didn't participate.

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Damn, how I envy you that visit! I looooove sand sculptures and those ones looked impressive! Only thing missing was Sweden? Sand sculptures has never been big here, but since we always take after other countries, why not sand sculptures too? It's strange...

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Great to have some time to land here... What a fabulous post! Shame that's only sand and doesn't last...

Blogtrotter Two is showing a wonderful site for your holidays: Costa Smeralda!! Enjoy, leave your comment and have a great Sunday!

Francisca said...

Wow, Gattina... these are really something else! Fantastic! I've seen well-done sand sculptures before, but never so many, or so intricate! Thanks for sharing your photos...

Cildemer said...

Wow! That's beautiful!
At first sight, I thought it was in Portugal! I didn't know that in Belgium there was a sand sculpture exposition too! I'm sad because I don't live very far from Belgium and if I knew about this exposition I surely would have gone to see it!
Anywayn thanks for sharing;o)

***
Have a beautiful week*******

A Lady's Life said...

These are soo nice.
Too bad its only sand. How long are they expected to stand?

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive