Tuesday, May 31, 2011

OSTENDE - SAILING SHIPS FESTIVAL

Ostend at anchor

Each year a sailing ship festival called "Ostend At Anchor" takes place in Ostend's port just in front of the station. There are around 150 sailing ships anchored, which you are allowed to visit. Last year there were two hundred thousand visitors who came to watch boats between 65, (213ft )135, (443ft) and 6.5 (21 ft)meters.

I took the train from Brussels to Ostend and walked around the habour.

The first sailing ship I saw was the famous replica of the "Bounty" which was built in 1960 for the MGM Studios for the movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" with Marlon Brando and later also used of course for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Jonny Depp. But I will write a special post about this ship.

sailing boats from all countries and all sizes

You can see the Ostend Station in the background

Besides the Bounty which had the most visitors of course, there were other big sailing ships

The Mercedes

Sailor's family enjoying a drink with their two "Dackels" (Dachshound)

There was really a wood of masts !

along the port where these white stalls in which paintings, artcrafts, clothes, etc were sold

a view on the station again

There were quiet a few boats coming from England too, like here from London

Captains from different ships had a drink together here

Sailor's songs filled the air, there were even bands from Ireland

I

On my way back to the station I was close to the Bounty's "nose"

Lots of stalls sold food from Hamburgers to smoked fish, and even fish & chips !

Musicians on the boat and three men singing old sailor's songs

There were more and more people arriving

Here I could see how fish was smoked. I almost got smoked too. It was very interesting to see.

and at the end of my walk along the haven and the boats I stopped in a tent where women showed how to spin yarn, and make baskets.

After a portion of seafood salad, a coffee and a crêpe (thin Belgian pancake) I took my train back, happy that I had spent such a nice and interesting day.

more participants here

8 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, I wish I had been able to see it with you. What a wonderful event. (I love boats, and ships, and seafood salad and crepes!)
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

diane b said...

Gosh, the number of ships in the harbour is astounding. It must be a huge harbour. I have been there many many years ago (1970) and I can't remember it other than catching a ferry to England and been violently ill on it after eating a greasy sausage from Ostende.
Those ships are magnificent what a fun day you had.

Unknown said...

Great tour of the tall ships!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

LifeRamblings said...

nice harbour and looks like a beautiful day to go sailing.

Maribeth said...

Those ships are truly magnificent, aren't they? Ah, the ocean!

A Lady's Life said...

Now that's called living.
What a dream.:)

This is Belgium said...

Wonderful reportage
greetings from Brussels !

Glennis said...

Love all those wonderful ships.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive