Tuesday, May 15, 2012

KEUKENHOF - Holland

When I went to Amsterdam last week, my son took me to the Keukenhof  which means "Kitchen garden", and which is also known as the "Garden of Europe". It is the world's largest flower garden situated near Lisse, Netherlands. According to the official Keukenhof website for the Keukenhof Park, approximately 7,000,000 (seven million) flower bulbs are planted annually in the park, which covers an area of 32 hectares.

Unfortunately the high season which is in mid April when all the tulip fields are blooming was over but still the park is absolutely stunning.



The entrance









and everywhere colorful flowers of all kinds.





If you go up inside the windmill which dates from 1892 you have a wonderful view over the tulip fields.



I could take this picture, there were still some tulips blooming. In high season it looks like this picture below.



which I found on Internet.

On the other side of the windmill you see the park



there is a little zoo with mini pigs, goats and there also was a little calf. Much to the fun for children and also adults.



Here you could buy flower bulbs



A Chopin statue, sculptured in wood




nicely decorated "rooms" of course not to sit in there.





Instead you could picnic on this original seats and table.



These chairs were made out of glass and bark.

As there was not much to see on the tulip fields we visited the Lily Exhibition in the Willem Alexander Pavillon, which is the highlight of the series of Flower Exhibition.
 






Even grandson Toby appreciated the colorful flowers and even more the fountains.




It is the largest exhibition of its kind in the world. Introduced more than 30 years ago, the Lily Exhibition was also Keukenhofs first flower exhibition ever. Today, the exhibition spans some 6000 m2 and includes over 300 different varieties of lilies in hundreds of breathtaking arrangements









as you can see here



Even for modern tastes



I loved this flower "pot" especially would look very nice in our front yard.






10 comments:

Linens and Royals said...

Amazing and beautiful, thank you. Tulips only grow in a few colder places here and not in the quantities you have seen. The rest of this country is too hot.

Unknown said...

Stunning flower display!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Maribeth said...

Hubby was there in the 1970"s when he lived in Munich.He loved it.

genie said...

What an awesome place to visit. I would be there when it opened and would not leave until they were going to lock up for the night. I adore tulips, and for me they are still in full bloom. There are so many in different colors. The windmill is a wonderful piece of history.Such a grand post. genie

Sylvia K said...

I love your pictures of Keukenhof, Gattina! I think I may have told you, but when I lived in Germany a coupe of my friends and I went to Keukenhof to see the festival and it was/is awesome! Fantastic captures and lots of lovely memories!!

Sylvia

Unknown said...

Never tire of the Keukenhof. Right before we moved to the USA that was our last outing, and I have pics of my kids standing at the balcony of the windmill:) Sweet memories!

A Lady's Life said...

This was wonderful. I love looking at fields covered in flowers and smells too I bet.
Little Toby seems to have enjoyed it immensely
:)

LindyLouMac said...

I would really love to visit this park.

Lifecruiser Travel said...

Nice photos and visit anyway, even if not high season.

We never went to Keukenhof when we were in Holland for the Bollenstreek Parade in Haarlem one year...

Well, we just have to go there another year in mid-April, right?

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! My sister-in-law was in Keukenhof two years ago in April; incredible pictures...

It seems nobody is interested in St. Kitts... ;) Blogtrotter Two has it. Enjoy and have a great weekend!!!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive