Tuesday, June 25, 2013

THE END OF THE HIGHLANDS AND THE LAKE DISTRICT

On our way back to the South, we stopped in Callander to spend a night there.



We stayed in the Dreadnought hotel which is even mentioned in Wikipedia. The fact that they were just renovating it, didn't bother us too much, although I got stuck in the very old lift ! The rooms were very spacious and we almost needed a walkie talkie to communicate from one bed to the other.

Callander  is a small town in the region of Stirling, Scotland, situated on the River Teith. The town is a popular tourist stop to and from the Highlands.



 Early morning before the departure I took a few pictures of the town.

The town serves as the eastern gateway to the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, the first National Park in Scotland. Due to its location it is often referred to as the "Gateway to the Highlands". For us this was not the case as we used it as exit from the Hightlands.








And then we continued our way to the Lake District through a gorgeous landscape !











and had 2 h to visit Keswick which is situated just north of Derwent Water, and a short distance from Bassenthwaite Lake, both in the Lake District National Park.

The town is recorded in the 13th century as 'Kesewic', meaning 'farm where cheese is made'. The name is from the Old English 'cēse' (cheese) with a Scandinavian initial 'k'

Keswick was granted a charter for a market in 1276 by Edward I. The market is held every Thursday and Saturday in the pedestrianised main street in the middle of the town. The marketplace features the Moot Hall which once acted as the town hall but is now a local tourist information office.

During the 16th century, small scale mining took place in Keswick, and it was the source of the world's first graphite pencils.

Keswick was the first place in Great Britain where police used riot gear. The equipment was on trial in Manchester when there was a disturbance on Windebrowe Avenue, in which a police car was overturned.

The drive through the Lake District showed us the beauty of this National Park.









All these pictures I took out from my bus seat, which excuses the quality !


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the "Gateway to the Highlands". For us this was not the case as we used it as exit from the Highlands."

I don't know why, but I really laughed at this.

Stewart M said...

I used to live in The Lake Distract - I miss it!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Linens and Royals said...

I never did get to visit the Lake District but I just love the Highlands. The history and the majestic scenery. I'm sure I could live there if only the weather was a bit better.

Fun60 said...

Great photos of the Lakes, an area where I want to spend far more time exploring its beauty.

Unknown said...

Beautiful tour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

diane b said...

This area is such a beautiful part of the UK. The green rugged rolling hills are lovely. We stayed a few nights in Keswick back in 2008 It is a cute little town with beautiful scenery all around.

Anonymous said...

The Lake District is so lovely! Gorgeous shots.

Loree said...

I have an aunt who lives in the Lake District. I think she is very lucky. Lovely photos of this beautiful plAce.

Anonymous said...

I'm so in love with UK, but I've never been to Scotland, so thank you for bringing me along, even if just with your beautiful photos.

Unknown said...

Amazing view hope some time me also can visit that wonderful place in same district hotel.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive