Tuesday, July 09, 2013

CRUISE ON AMSTERDAM's CANALS

On the last visit to Amsterdam, where my son and family lives we did a sightseeing cruise on the canals.



The boat started in front of the station and we werewelcomed by a cow.



The boats were all full although there are a lot, but we finally found a nice place in open air to sit. My grandson was a little bothered by the sunshine and we were happy to have such a beautiful weather.



The cruise started with showing us modern buildings



Then a replica of the Amsterdam. The replica of the ship was built in Iroko wood by 400 volunteers using tools of the period, between 1985 and 1990.  It was floated to Amsterdam and is moored next to the Netherlands Maritime Museum, where it is open to visitors of the museum. 





The canals were quiet crowded by sightseeing ships or private boats.



People were sitting along the canals and enjoyed a drink



Then we arrived in the posh area with very beautiful old houses, some of them counting 40 rooms !



We went by my son's office, which once had been a private house to a rich family.



Lots of people were underway in their private or rented boats, with picnic and drinks.



A wedding ?

I was very much impressed by the houseboats. People are living in there permanently and are connected to water, electricity, etc. Just like a normal house.



There are so many, nicely decorated and often with a little garden.

















There are all kinds of boats some decorated with a lot of creativity !

Then we returned and I saw this amazing building which must be unique !



It is a parking for around 3000 bicycles. I just wonder how one can find his bike !



and then the cruise was finished and we approached the station.

13 comments:

Joyful said...

I love all the canals in Amsterdam. They make lovely places for so many to live on houseboats. It is nice to have the sunshine but I'm like your grandson. Too much sun bothers me though I find I need some sunshine to break up the periods of rain. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Photo Cache said...

thanks for the beautiful sightseeing tour.

diane b said...

A great way to see Amsterdam. It did look awfully crowded. What do the houseboats do about sewerage?

Fun60 said...

I love Amsterdam. I haven't been for a few years, it is time I returned. A great way to tour the city using the canal system.

Anonymous said...

Our Amsterdam canal tour was in 2008. It was quite cheap and we enjoyed it very much. I couldn't believe the number of bicycles parked everywhere. There are some photos here http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2008/07/day-12-amsterdam.html

Unknown said...

Great way to travel!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Mary said...

Okay, I'm putting Amsterdam on my "Places to Visit" List! :)

Sandra Carlier said...

Beautiful sightseeing! This town looks marvelous and chance you had with a such nice sunny day! I didn't imagine so many people were living in boats. And the modern buildings!

Loree said...

Amsterdam is quite enchanting. But you are right, how would you find your bike? Sometimes I have difficulty finding my car!

Noel Morata said...

I love all those canals and the different boats and water lifestyles, wonderful

come and link up with us on Travel photo Mondays....

Linens and Royals said...

Amazing city! a parking station for bikes only and a man in pink. This must be a very unique city.

Anonymous said...

Amsterdam looks delightful in your shots.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wow Gattina, I loved this post; what a fabulous harbor tour, thanks for sharing it. I loved the houseboats -- and they kind of remind me of RVs ...all the conveniences in miniature. And the larger "posh" homes are beautiful.

The "wedding" made me laugh -- we live in a liberal State (in the summer), maybe not quite as liberal as Amsterdam is said to be, but close! So it looked like something we might see.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive